Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Nuggets of Sholay: Twelve - Kabr Mein Paanv Latke Hona

AK Hangal is an actor I admire, no I worship. In Sholay, his role was that of a blind man, and to practice, he employed a method what he called "psycho-technique". He felt what it was to be blind by traversing eons back to the very beginning of life, when blind amoeba swam in the dark waters. That helped him get that 'gaze'. 

Imam sahab, the character he portrayed, was the conscience of the film and he had some memorable dialogues. One of them is the subject of this post. And this time around, I'm trying something different. A well-wisher, who I admire a lot, gave me valuable tips on writing. I hope I have been able to incorporate some of them.

Muhavra: Kabr Mein Paanv Latke Hona (कब्र में पांव लटके होना)
At 1h.57m, Gulzarilal (the postman) is reading a letter from Mukaitullah (the Imam's brother-in-law) that Ahmed's job has been confirmed and to send him to Jabalpur. Ahmed (Imam's only son) walks in (after having shampooed his hair that day) and implores Basanti (who is just whiling away her time) through mimes to dissuade the Imam from packing him off to Jabalpur.

To make his point, the Imam says, 'Arre bhai ajeeb bewakoof hai yeh ladka. Miyan, main to ab kabr mein paanv latkaye baitha hoon. Tumhare saamne saari zindagi hai. Kab tak mere daaman se bandhe baithe rahoge?' Translated, he says that his one foot is in the grave (which is the English equivalent of the proverb), his whole life is in front of him and he should not depend on him. If you look at it from Imam's perspective, he is being practical, but from Ahmed's perspective, that's exactly what he doesn't want to hear, especially being the only son.

Kabr Mein Paanv Latke Hona
Main to ab kabr mein paanv latkaye baitha hoon


So, at this juncture, let me introduce a new character to this scene. I'm trying something new here, and hope it works. So again, a new character in this scene. Who can that be? Hmm...ok and that's you. Yes, you. Place yourself let's say, right in front of the Imam. What would you say? How would you say it? While you think about it, let me tell you what I would say. Something like, 'Imam sahab, aisa mat kahiye. Ahmed ko hausla dijiye ki aapko kuchh nahin hoga. Aap yahan asani se reh loge. Agar aap marne ki baatein karenge to Ahmed kathe hi nahin jayega?'  Translated, what I'm basically telling Imam is that he has  to encourage Ahmed by saying that he can take care of yourself, and not dissuade him by saying that his father might kick the bucket anytime! Honestly, I find this proverb a bit pessimistic. 

So hey you - have you thought of what you would say, if you were placed in that scene? Would it be what I said or something different? Let me know through a comment. 

By the way, One Foot in the Grave was a popular British comedy serial aired by BBC in the 1990s. I've just begun watching it and it's funny.

Goodbye, aadab and namaste

1 comment:

PRM said...

To put ourselves in the situation we can use the same "pyscho" process AKH used to be blind. Like most people i would have responded by using another muhavara - jitni chadar ho utni painr failani chahiye - so don't try and achieve more than you should..kinda.

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...