Friday, November 16, 2007

Saawariya review

I was with my entire family last Saturday to watch Saawariya at Vaibhav. My wife is a big SLB fan and she was excited from the time I had done the booking (a week in advance).

My son, aged 6, didn't want to come - he now thinks movies are boring - but we somehow managed to drag him along. And the movie proved his premonition.

The problem with Saawariya is that SLB got carried away by the SLB brand and tag. Grandeur if you must, but not at the cost of one of the two formulas that work in Bollywood - (a) masala or (b) story.

Another downside of pleasing-to-the-eye movies is that, after a while, you stop appreciating the beauty presented to you. The story is the king and unfortunately, Saawariya fails to manipulate the audience with any substance.

There are however, two saving graces - the music (oh so melodious) and Ranbir Kapoor (it's always nice to see raw talent). Sonam Kapoor, poor thing not her fault, is reduced to a terribly scripted role. She's got that confused look about her - maybe her true emotions came through there.

My personal favourite song of the movie - the qawwali, Yoon Shabnami.

My recommendation - watch it, but only once, but don't forget to grab a CD or download its mp3s.


No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...