Sunday, November 18, 2007

Om Shanti Om review

It was almost after 7 years that me and my wife saw a movie alone together. We were a touch uncomfortable without our two kids, but it was a nice experience of watching the whole movie without any breaks!

Farah Khan takes the cake in the OSO-Saawariya battle. OSO is a perfect Bollywood movie - very much like an Indian curry - a bit of everything - thoda si masti, thoda emotion, thoda drama and everything else in between.

By the time you exit the theatre, you feel fulfilled. At least that's how suckers-for-entertainment like me and my wife would feel. The movie does credit to the original re-incarnation story of all-time - Karz - which was a movie I grew up with. Even today when I see Karz, I'm subjected to goose-pimples, and it was Karz that put Rishi Kapoor in my list of the best actors hall of fame.

Shah Rukh Khan is benefitted by the script and screenplay - but for me, the poor guy is getting trapped in his own web of style. I feel he needs to de-energize at times and sober up a bit. Even his hamming gets arrogant.

But whatte story. The movie doesn't let its grip over the viewer even for a moment.

I wasn't impressed with Deepika till the second half. At the end, I would say that she has dum. Pretty face, but no hot bod - and only substantial roles will keep her alive in the industry. Talking of hot bods, you are given an opportunity of comparing Deepika during the Deewangi.. number. Shilpa, Tabu and Rekha - the mothers of oomph in Bollywood - make you realize that Deepika is merely a post with a bright lamp.

I thought the guest appearances were well thought and laid out. It's obvious that Farah Khan has quite a few frat-friends. And full credit to people like Shabana and Shubhash Ghai, for mimicking themselves. Manoj Kumar over-reacted.

Kirron Kher's depiction of 70's acting was superb to watch. Especially in one scene in the beginning, when OP Makhija comes home late and drunk, and the mother wakes up to say, 'tu aa gaya beta?'.

Shreyas Talpade didn't deserve this minuscule role - he's a treat to watch. Arjun Rampal finally found his groove in the baddie role, but his nostril flaring became a bit predictable.

Farah Khan built my expectation of guests so much, that I even thought that the climax will feature Simi Garewal - and that would have been interesting.

Songs are ok, and pale in comparison to the Saawariya scores - with the only exception of Ajab si. The 6-pack number, Dard-e-Disco is horribly choreographed - dancing in ankle-deep water looks amateurish.

The credits at the end of the movie is a nice tribute to the unsung heroes of Bollywood. But watch out for Shirish Kunder - Farah's hubby - who literally thought it was his chance to be identified as the next big thing.

Finally, maybe I'm a dha, but I realised the significance of the movie title, only towards the end....Om - Shanti - Om.

No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...