Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?'

At first glance, I thought this was a simple enough question. But as I sat down thinking, the answer wasn't as easy. There are three operative words in this question, 'Why', 'Want' and 'Actor'. And I went about tackling each one of them.

1) Why: I've grown up as a movie buff, mesmerized by the magic on the screen. While in my corporate career job, I saw the benefits of being empathetic, towards my own people, towards customers and towards situations. That feeling of empathy needed an outlet I guess.


2) Want: This is tricky. What do I really want? Make money? Gain fame? Become powerful? I've known long enough that those aren't my drivers. Simpler wants really. Just to be nice, meet good people and grow as a human.


3) Actor: I love giving. And if I can make someone feel something, isn't that an act of giving? And actors are in a good position to do that. Plus it's something I can do till the day I die.


This is what I think today. Perhaps it might change over time. Let's wait and watch.


No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...