Monday, March 9, 2020

Every Brilliant Thing



Ellis Boy "Red" Redding: I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I? don't wanna know. I would like to think they were singing about some thing was so beautiful it cant be expressed in words and make your heart ache because of it.I tell you this voice soared higher and farther than anybody in a Gray place dares to dream it is like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away. For the briefest moment every last man in Shawshank felt free.

Andy Dufresne: Remember Red! Hope is a good thing, may be best of things and no good thing ever dies.

These two passages from the 1994 icon The Shawshank Redemption streamed through my head as I was watching brilliance unfold in front of me through 'Every Brilliant Thing'. EBT is an intimately inspiring format of theatre, directed by Quasar Thakore Padamsee (or Q), written by Duncan Macmillan and Jonny Donahoe and performed by Vivek Madan (yes, it's a solo).

While the play (can it even be called a play? to me, it was more of a conversation) talks about a million brilliant things, ranging from the smell of old books to coffee to every good thing under the sun, I would like to extend that list to 1,000,001 (a million and one) - Vivek Madan. Boy ain't he a mesmerizing magician. He so effortlessly weaved a story in front of us, that made it impossible not to ebb and flow with the character's feelings. I smiled, laughed, cringed, twinged, smirked, cried, laughed some more...to the entire credit of Vivek Madan, who tends to his audience like..like...like...a puppy!

I came away bewitched. And I implore the reader of this post - do not miss the opportunity of seeing this play when it's on next!

*****

No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...