Friday, June 1, 2018

Review of 'Raazi'


I've always maintained that when Bollywood veers away from its 'boy-meets-girl' formula (which is 99% of the time), the result is usually good. Raazi is no exception.

Alia Bhatt is a seriously good actor. After Highway and Udta Punjab, Raazi gives her the opportunity of displaying her fine acting skills. The star of the movie, however, is the script and the screenplay. Tight, taut and without falling into the danger of anti-Pakistan jingoism. The film craftfully maintains this fine balance of catering to a largely Indian audience and at the same time, not rubbishing the old enemy.

I was also impressed with Jaideep Ahlawat, as the Indian handler. Emotionless, strong, yet with a soft understated interior, this fellow can act. The large glasses I think gave him the look required for this role. I'd seen him in GoW (Shahid Khan), but it is this performance that should be a turning point for him.

Finally, the subtle message this movie tries to tell is that in a war, war is the only enemy. People will be people, both good and bad on both sides. But war is and always will be the bad, no matter what side you are on.

I liked this movie so much, that I went to the theatre to see it twice! Hope it wins tons of awards. And Alia - you've raised the bar even higher. What else are you capable of? To me, you are the current actor-supreme, on par with Priyanka Chopra, who I'm dying to see on Indian screens again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely agree on all points, Sachit. Excellent screenplay and cinematography. Performances all round were excellent - Jaideep Alhawat, Vicky Kaushal, Rajit Kapoor (I love him anyway), and the powerful Alia Bhatt. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, the pace, the character build up. I would watch it again too!

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...