Friday, June 15, 2018

Review of Veere di Wedding

Two good movies in as many weeks! Bollywood, what's gotten into you! And both female oriented, and, and, away from the regular formula.

I loved the movie totally. Not that there's a feminine bone in me, but finally, here's something that allows the Indian woman to express herself, without being melodramatic or serious about it (think about all the female oriented movies of yore - Khoon Bhari Maang, Mother India, vgh, vgh). There's a certain nonchalance about the 4 central characters, which made for wonderful viewing.

There's no story or script as such, but the mini-plots and the dialogues make for a nice freeflow. I loved Swara and the Talsania girl (is she Tiku's something?). Kareena looked as if she was underpaid and I've never liked Sonam anyway (although she didn't giggle that much).

Watching all the expletives and gestures (read middle fingers), I wonder, why aren't there female-oriented gaalis or gestures? MC, BC and BSDK are men oriented, as well as the middle finger. Why not have BaapC, BhaiC, Luv-Diye, etc? And why not have the index finger curled against a straight middle finger, making a slit? Maybe this movie will inspire the next gen bichches to coin/create a few?

And finally, my Oscar for this movie goes to the hazed-out purple di--do which epitomized the message, 'when you can't baby, I can!' I know it offended many, but it's time we break ourselves from imaginary shackles. Watch it, if you haven't.

No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...