Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Review of 'Ittefaq'

A whodunit, after a long time! Ittefaq means coincidence in Urdu, and this movie is loosely based on its namesake made almost 40 years ago, starring Rajesh Khanna and Nanda.

I was eagerly looking forward to this movie, after all, it's perhaps 1% of Bollywood movies, which are not based on typical boy-meets-girl stories.

I was hugely disappointed to say the least. The plot is set up very nicely - a double murder and both the prime suspects claim innocence. For about an hour of the movie, the director has you intrigued.

But as the movie nears its ending, it starts getting predictable. The director tries to 'surprise' you in the end, but it doesn't audaciously shock you. One just goes 'oh, ok'.

What I would have liked were more perspectives, more suspects and a few red herrings.

But I must commend Karan Johar for trying something different. And just for that effort alone, I would rate this move as 'above average'.

No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...