Thursday, November 16, 2017

A song I want to be part of

Have you every listened to a song, and wondered if you could be part of the song? Well, I have one such.

From the movie Kitaab (1977, directed by Gulzar), there's this song, 'Dhanno Ki Aankhon Mein', composed and sung by Pancham. The song is about an engine driver (of a steam locomotive) who expresses his love for Dhanno, a village belle. Dhanno lives in a village that is close to the railway line that this particular train passes through.

And it seems that everytime the train nears Dhanno's village (early morning, dawn time), Dhanno walks up to a hillock, lantern in hand, and waves out to Ustad (the engine driver). In the song, Ustad, upon seeing Dhanno flings something towards her - a gift, I think it's a dress of some sort. And one assumes that this is a ritual.

I don't know the actress that does Dhanno, but Ustad is played by a character actor by the name of Ram Mohan. Another titbit about this movie - there's Master Lucky, a kid played by Lucky Ali!

The song is one of those sticky numbers, but what makes it stand apart is the unique music, typified by a strange noise, as if someone is playing a guitar inside a hollow drum.

I've always been fascinated by steam engines, and as a kid, wanted up to grow up to be an engine driver. Whenever I see this song, I want to be Ustad, driving that engine and singing that song.

Dhanno ki aankhon mein, hai raat ka surma, aur chaand ka chummaaaaah....



No comments:

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...