Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Chapter 4: Travelling by Train in Bangalore

This is the fourth chapter in my series on getting around in Bangalore. And this time, I will be looking at railway trains as an option to move around.

For the last 6 months, I've been using the Indian Railways to go back home from work. There are a few nice options available, if I get the timing right. So, here's how it works, considering that I live in Yelahanka New Town (A sector) and my office is at the beginning of Lavelle Road.


  • I first buy an unreserved 2nd class ticket between SBC (KSR railway station) and YNK (Yelahanka), through the Unreserved Ticket Service (UTS) app. There's also a website. Cost is Rs. 10. Payment is via the app wallet (which can be topped up through Paytm)
    • Note: if it's a superfast/express train, the fare is higher. Make sure you know the train is an ordinary passenger or MEMU
  • To reach SBC station, I walk to the Cubbon Park metro station, and take the metro towards Mysuru Road, and alight at KSR Railway Station
  • In the evenings, I have the following options from SBC to YNK
    • 17307 Basava Express. ETD 1700. ₹30 (Express)
    • 66523 Hindupur MEMU. ETD 1745. ₹10 (Passenger)
    • 76525 Channapatna Kolar MEMU. ETD 1810.  ₹10 (Passenger)
    • 12786 Mysore Kacheguda Express. ETD 1820. ₹45 (Superfast)
    • 12627 Karnataka Express. ETD 1900. ₹45 (Superfast)
    • 11302 Udyan Express. ETD 2030. ₹30 (Express)
  • The journey between SBC and YNK takes about 40-45 minutes
  • From Yelahanka station, my home is about 2 kms. Depending on my mood and energy level, I either
    • Walk (20 minutes)
    • Bounce (I love this service. Will write separately)
    • Bus. The stop is close by. Takes about 15 minutes. Fare is ₹10
  • The entire journey takes about 90 minutes

Even if I drive, the time taken is only 15 minutes lesser. But the advantage of this methos, is that I get to avoid the road completely! And like Sujata mentioned in her comment in one of my posts, I derive sadistic pleasure in looking at traffic jams along the train route. :)

So, take the trouble of doing some research and spend a few extra minutes. The train is certainly a stressfree and cheaper mode of going home.

If they introduce a few more trains in the morning, I would love to use trains even for coming to work.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Sachit way to go

Sujata said...

Public transportation in Bangalore is so misunderstood and thus underutilised. As I see it, three things are required to change this:

1. Awareness of what there is by the state/city and individuals like you
2. Use of personal vehicles for last mile connectivity only ( even that is really required only if one has luggage)..which also means ample provision for parking.
3. Government to stop the impetus to the automobile industry.

I have noticed that the Namma Metro is doing what the local trains in Mumbai achieved many years ago....bringing everyone on the same "platform"..every ego evened out..seeing people as people and not as CEO or Sweeper or any such!!
Three cheers for public transportation!!

Titus said...

Good story

Why Acting?

 I recently did a mentorship program for actors. One of the questions I was asked was 'Why do you want to be an actor?' At first gla...